singzeon.


(closed)



12 November 2013:

Thoughts on syllabus 8809.

1. I would like to start off by saying that I have never viewed the subject as a 'burden', unlike many of my peers. It is true that I would prefer not to have it, but I simply take it as a necessary component of an Advanced Level education (in Singapore, albeit).

I find that when people regard it as a 'burden', they get a sense of self-entitlement. It is as if there is a way to be exempt from the subject but they are not, which breeds misery. Then, they go on to dislike the subject more in a vicious circle.

2. Honestly, I have learnt a few things from this subject. Maybe some beg to differ: to them this was just done since it is a pre-requisite for local universities. For me, since there's no way out, I focused instead of learning what I could from the subject.

The biggest aspect I have learnt is how to work with people. I know, we don't really have to do a one-year coursework just to learn this. We interact with people on a daily basis and definitely we would be able to learn a thing or two as well.

3. Moving on to my group. My group is interestingly dysfunctional. At first I wanted to detail out various events that happened throughout the months, but decided against it. It's time to let bygones be bygones and move on.

However, this doesn't mean that everything is per normal. I forgive but don't forget. So to certain people, I will be mindful of your character / attitude and take that into consideration with dealing with you if necessary.

Of course, it's best if I need not deal with you in future. Next year is the final year and I don't think there's a high chance for projects anymore, so good riddance to you. Thank goodness the remaining three people in my group is good.

4. Speaking of the remaining three - N, Y and MY - I really would like to thank them. They have been extremely accommodating, especially during the start. Back then when there was Twelfth Night, I had lots of rehearsals and was not very dedicated.

They were very accepting and helped with some of the workload for that period of time. Many thanks. I also think our group discusses matters in a very interesting manner. We can get very worked up, like we're fighting, but then everything's fine after that.

It's certainly an interesting group dynamics. But yes, what matters is that in the end we know that no matter who we shouted / raised our voice at, we have no bad blood towards that person. (N and MY oppose each other 99.9% of the time but are still BFFs.)

5. Side note: I had a really pretty teacher for OP. You bet I satisfied the 'eye contact' component!

6. Y has been heavily polluted by my 'that's what she said' jokes for at least two months. I'm very sorry. (#not) Now, her previously innocent mind jumps to dirty scenarios more frequently, and I'm wholly guilty of that.

7. Tip to juniors, if any are reading: the moment you sense something's wrong with your group dynamics, just voice it out to fellow group members / your subject tutor. Don't wait till its too late for concrete changes.

That'll negatively affect the mood of the group and progress of the project. Thankfully my group isn't that bad; I have heard of worse groups where everyone hates everyone. They end up forming complicated alliances that resembles a geopolitical system.

(I wonder: how do they have so much time to engage in so much politics when there's tons of work to do?) Anyway, yes, seek help at the first signs of dysfunction. You'd rather it be a false alarm, at least you know that your group isn't in trouble.

~

Those are roughly my thoughts on syllabus 8809, Project Work. I actually have many more, but they are stubbornly stuck in my head and refuse to emerge. Maybe when they do, I'll update this post. Till then,

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。