singzeon.


(closed)



10 October 2013:

Possibly the worst foodstall at the hawker centre opposite school.


I rarely say that things are not nice. I eat almost everything. Because I am so neutral on food, if I say something sucks, you better believe me. Then again, it's still my opinion on it.

Today I went to eat at a stall that I never patronised since starting school. It was at the corner of the first row, first block. I don't remember its name but its main dishes were wanton mee and shredded chicken horfun.

K ordered the former while I ordered the latter. Hers was $2.50 while mine was $3. The stallholder had added chilli for mine. Although I didn't specify that I didn't want it, I think it is a standard practice to err on the side of caution and ask.

But that's a small matter. What was horrible was that it was way too spicy. Granted, spiciness threshold depends on the invididual. However, the noodles were so flooded with chilli sauce that I could barely taste anything else!

Y'know when you eat meepok with chilli, besides chilli sauce (or paste) they will add the stock / base gravy? It's either (1) this stall didn't add such a thing or worse, (2) it was added but the chilli simply overpowered it.

K tried a little of my horfun and she agreed, even though she was able to tahan spiciness more than me. So it's not about the threshold anymore. According to her, her wanton mee sucked too. I didn't try it, so I can't comment about it.

Nevertheless, the horrible horfun experience was good enough for me. Hours later (i.e. now), I have visited the toilet twice to defecate. And guess what, I had a ring of fire, if you know what I mean.

Technically it's my 'fault' since my arsehole is just too delicate and gets burnt by the capsaicins ... Yet it can be traced to the fact that they could've asked before adding a shitload (pun intended) worth of chilli.

Capsaicin: the scumbag alkanoid molecule present in chilli that (literally) burns tissue, especially those around the two ends of the digestive tract.

Also, as K mentioned, the food was horrible. Its saving grace was the soup which tasted of ikan bilis. However, the cynic in me feared for a possible generous concentration of MSG in it, and didn't drink all of it.

Sidenote: maybe to others not finishing soup is common, but for me, I strive to finish any soup that I am served, down to the last drop. Literally, because I feel that it's a waste of hours of boiling (ideally). However, as in this case, the fear of suffering a MSG overdose (twice is good enough) was too compelling for me to adhere to my principle.

Conclusion? I'm never buying from that stall again. Its stallholders are zealous, always beckoning people to order. I think I know why that's necessary now. Those stalls with good quality food and service ... queues form without their hollering.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。