singzeon.


(closed)



1 August 2013:

It’s been nearly two weeks since I last blogged.

And since then, many things have happened. Today is the 1st of August, which means it’s 62 days to the Promotional Exams and 4 days to show time.

Show time, what show time? On 7 August my school will be celebrating National Day. As with other years, TjDrama would be putting up a skit as a performance. This year I am directing this skit, and I’m really excited for it.

From the start, the club has been rather lucky. Our senior TH came up with a fantastic script, so we didn’t have to brainstorm for new ideas. All that had to be done was to change the script here and there and we were good to go.


Currently the only problem we face is the pacing of the skit, which technically isn’t a new problem. During Twelfth Night pacing issues plagued us nearing show time as well. We did resolve it (mostly) for Twelfth Night, so I’m confident that this one would go fine too.

We shall see how it goes 4 days from now. Break a leg.

~

In some ways I guess I’m rather blessed. I’m able to be doing what I like most of the time. Although occasionally things can get tiring and all, but I’m still glad I’m in TjDrama. The club is definitely not bonded, but at least we get along fine with each other.

And ever since this year I’ve been meddling a lot with theatre, and that makes me really happy. Sometimes I do wonder if it was nature or nurture: do I love theatre so because it’s in my genes or was it because I attended Speech & Drama classes when young?

Maybe it’s a mix of both. Whatever it is, I’m just glad that I’m finally doing drama. I can’t claim to be the most experienced (since others have done it since primary school till now) but at least I do bother to try things out and hone my craft.

And yes, I do think that acting is a craft. Sense 1 of the Oxford Dictionary defines it as ‘the skills in carrying out one’s work’. In the same way, acting has to be perfected. There is no such thing as someone who is naturally best at acting.

There may be some who are born to be more able to mimic others, in a way, which makes the person act better. But without practice even talented people cannot improve. So yes, I’ll try to improve with whatever opportunity I have.

~

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before, but actually I find crew work rather interesting. And I guess almost every theatre person should understand the importance of crew. Even if you have an A team cast, they are nothing without crew.

Yet it’s real sad that crew normally don’t get much recognition in terms of productions. Even so, I really don’t mind doing crew work. Ultimately they still work hard and help out in the overall effort. To me that’s what matters most.

~

There are some people with a strong sense of victim complex. If you keep on thinking that people are out to get you, you will just wallow in self-pity and never be able to improve. And sometimes the reasoning used just gets more and more absurd. Incredulous.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。