singzeon.


(closed)



1 December 2012:

Regardless of race, language or religion.

This is one of the messages in our National Pledge, which students recite till at least secondary school. It would have been deeply imprinted in our heads by now, and most would come to accept such a thing.

However, personally, I still have issues. I still have issues against a certain religion. I do know how sensitive and 'dangerous' posting religious-themed posts are, but I will exercise due caution. Hopefully.

Firstly I would say that I respect all religions. I believe that they share a common goal of making people do good and improve themselves. This is definitely morally upright and good. But from what I know that's where things differ.

~

I oppose any religion that obstructs the development and progress of science, especially through persecution and propaganda. Personally I feel that it is alright to be atheist or agnostic, but everyone should believe in science. Because unlike religion, science requires cold, hard logic. Also, science is less disputable than religion.

I also do not like anyone that proselytises. In fact, I am absolutely repelled by it. That simply makes me dislike the religion further. I too would be upset if I see someone proselytising Buddhism, which I believe in. To me no one should do such a thing.

It is alright if people ask for explanations themselves. They are curious; you explain; it's alright. But not by trying to grab every opportunity to present how fabulous your religion is. Chances are, if your religion really helps, naturally there'll be people who would convert or join. There's no need to force people to join through proselytising.

Besides that, I dislike any religion whom people try to get in the way of politics and education. That is absolutely despicable, I find. This should be decided by the government of the day. Of course if the government is from a majority religion then chances are it'll be the same but at least the religion doesn't butt in technically.

The teaching of subjects other than religion or religious studies should be regularised throughout a country. It is not correct for someone to learn one set of things while someone from another part of the country learns something different, all because of religious intervention. If that country isn't secular, at least teach both sides and let the students choose. They'll understand as they grow older.

As mentioned above, not everyone has a religion. However, everyone has to receive education (it is stated somewhere I think). Therefore, there is no logic that religion obstructs the transfer of knowledge via education. To me this is nonsense.

I am very thankful that Singapore doesn't have such situations. I understand that some places teach religious studies but they are not to be used as an O Level subject in consideration of points. The curriculum is standardised by SEAB and its guidelines are shown to all. All religions also do not butt into politics or running of Singapore.

~

Although I've said that I dislike certain religions, I certainly am not extreme and would not hate or condemn anyone because of their religion. To me so long as they do not do the above, I really am fine with anyone. That applies to Buddhists; if they do the above I too won't be pleased.

I truly appreciate the racial and religious harmony Singapore has enjoyed. I know it's not easy, and I would play a part in maintaining it. However, this is just my sharing of what I feel about religions in general. Most of the things here that I listed as 'conditions for my dislike' are general, which means they apply to any religion. I believe that is fair; I am not discriminating anyone or any religion. If you may blame, you may say my ethics or principles are not right, but I am not against any particular religion and certainly not discriminating them.

TTFN.

Edit: I found a relevant comic from the Oatmeal, a cartoon site that I rather like.

Oh by the way, it's not right for anyone of any religion to make fun of other religions. Just had to mention this cos some people don't get it. Maybe our beliefs differ from yours and are ridiculous to you, but hey if you want to pick, I'm sure every religion has beliefs that are ridiculous to others.

I understand why some people give up religion and turn to atheism now.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。