singzeon.


(closed)



4 December 2012:

靈不靈不靈靈不靈不靈


No that was not some curse or something, the title. It's just a fun part of 水手怕水 above that I like.

~

As said yesterday, the karaoke session was postponed till today. And yes, I have returned from the session. It was very enjoyable; I hope I don't get a sore throat tomorrow. Things seem fine as of now.

I first met SY at 11, our stipulated meeting time. LJ, LY and YJ were all late. She reached much earlier and LJ was messaging me before that to meet her since I'm almost reaching. I called SY when I was there and we were discussing where to meet. It was a little confusing at first but turns out that the moment we hung up, we saw each other.

So I brought SY to outside the place. We then talked for a while, waiting for the rest to come. I was telling her about my (hopefully) job, and she told me that I may have to wait much longer. True, it's been almost three days and still no reply. I check my e-mail every half an hour in anticipation, but nothing.

Anyway, LJ and LY arrived at around 1120. We booked a room and went in to sing first. YJ reached half an hour later. Because the rate was $10 / person / 3 hours, so YJ had till 1500 to sing while we had to leave at 1430.

I don't remember which songs we sang already, but many were favourites. I know that I kept singing even when the song wasn't 'mine', so paiseh. But okay lah there were two mics so the other person could sing as well. Actually ah LJ was even worse in the snatching so yay I'm not the only one.

Surprisingly this time I didn't zaosia that much. There were parts that I could go down / up but most were alright. Instead it was LJ who zaosia-ed quite many times. He's gonna record 孤獨患者 either tomorrow or day after, his voice better be alright then.

There was this song, 王妃, that almost all of us sang. However, the song was so difficult, especially the chorus that almost everyone ended up shouting. SY was the only one who could handle it, but that's cos she was using the 純情 method to sing such a rock song. Haiyo.

We also tried 別找我麻煩 and 假動作, which were inside the list of 20 songs. I 切歌 the former cos I simply couldn't get the 慵懶 feel and kept going out-of-tune, and no one else could replace to sing. The latter song was real enjoyment when both LJ and I were singing it. But LJ didn't know from the second verse, especially the bridge, so I sang the ending part. That was a real challenge, going up at least two or three notes. I could feel my throat tightening. But yeah that was fun, cos ultimately I did do a not-bad rendition of it.

It seemed very fast and we finished three hours of singing. By right YJ had extra half an hour but the system auto-shut down, so we left. Then SY wanted to get something, so we accompanied her to Bugis Street. We originally said to eat then shop, but she said that it was fast so alright. In the end we took more than an hour.

At Bugis Street, the things there were rather cheap. Dresses were at $10 each, and there were other things like iPhone covers. YJ wanted one cover, so we spilt from the girls and went round looking. In the end, the girls bought what they wanted (and more) while YJ and LJ couldn't get any cover.

I remember some stall owners with such a black face and lousy attitude. (Incidentally they were all 中國人.) Ugh really ah, the face so black, who feels like shopping there? Not say that's the only shop in the country, or even the area.

On our way out, YJ and LJ found what they wanted. This is a perfect example of 踏破鐵鞋無覓處,得來全不費工夫. It was almost 4 when we finally exited Bugis Street. I was starving much cos I didn't even have breakfast. (I really should have eaten a chocolate biscuit or two before leaving home.)

I really wanted to go to McDonald's to eat, but they said that YJ had to treat, so he said to go food court to eat. In the end we went to this Japanese restaurant. Things there were so expensive that a plate of curry + rice cost $6.90.

Things would be so much more worth it at McDonald's lorh. I ordered this chicken udon (with three pieces of chicken only) for $8.90. After GST and service charge, it became $11. I really could have eaten more at McDonald's, and I wanted to try out McChicken BLT before it disappears.

The rest ordered some set meal, the most expensive being $16.90. Maybe I very scrimpy lah, but hey spending almost $20 on lunch to me is too much. I feel very 心痛 already for that $11 udon. It was really just fat noodles, miso soup and three pieces of chicken. It was nice, but I'm sure there were cheaper things.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that we finished eating; I was so starved before that. After that we decided to go home. The rest took bus while LY and I took MRT. I really understand now how come people are so angry at our Transport Minister (Tuck Yew!), especially during last year's GE period. The train really was packed.

I'm thankful that I didn't encounter any smelly armpits. It really was very packed, though. I wasn't that afraid of falling even though I wasn't holding anything, because we were like particles in liquid state. I got off after four stops, good luck to those sitting from one end to the other.

When I was at the Paya Lebar bus-stop, there was this PRC who was giving out Epoch Times. At first, I thought she was giving out 人民日報, which was the propaganda newspaper of China. (Like our Straits Times.) In Fudan I used to see it often, they even pasted public copies on notice boards everywhere so that everyone could 'read the word'. Anyway, because of that I initially shunned her.

Then I noticed that it was Epoch Times, which is not as propaganda-ish. So I went over and asked for one. She seemed happy to hand me, maybe cos she has one less to give out now. I roughly browsed through it, not bad news at all. Got juicy details about 薄熙來 and 王立軍, definitely not state-controlled else can't have such things.

I didn't read the articles in the bus, it was too packed. I brought the paper home, and maybe I'll read it later or tomorrow.

~

On the bus today I suddenly thought of something. The universe is made up of yin and yang. Electrons and protons. For every up quark, there's a down quark. Even the Principle of Conservation of Energy states that energy is transferred and neither created nor destroyed.

Then what about our souls? You see, when a person dies, his body is either cremated or buried. During cremation, heat is used to break up flesh and organs into carbon compounds and other stuff. Bones which are too hardy remain in their calcium compound state and they are placed into urns that are sealed in lots.

The energy conversion takes place at the heating part. No problem. As for burials, the body decomposes. Nutrients are used by plants or decomposers or etc. Also, energy is converted, no problem. Then what about our souls?

Without a soul, a human body would not have life, or even animals actually. Do our souls consist of energy? Else what is it made up of? Matter composes of energy. Therefore if our souls have energy, it is matter. However matter must occupy mass, but till now no one can measure a soul's mass.

If then our soul does not consist of energy and is not matter, what is it? Could it be anti-matter? This could be why our souls 'tie-up' with our bodies, because they attract each other. Our bodies, its organs and parts, are made up of matter. So there is a possibility that our soul is a complement, which is anti-matter. Of course, physicists would call this bollocks, because matter + anti-matter = annihilation, which also means jibaboom for the whole world.

I don't know why I was so philosophical suddenly. I guess it's because I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown now. It's a nice book, so far. It talks about how science and faith is (or rather is not) balanced in this world. Also, the concept of anti-matter is explored. That's why there is CERN, which tries to solve life's mysteries of how did the universe originate and etc.

Along the way comes religious obstruction. (This also explains why I wrote that previous post about what religions shouldn't do, in my opinion.) Also, there's a message in the book about American arrogance. Indeed, in terms of science and technology the Americans think they've done it all.

Actually, lots of things were invented by the British or Europeans? THE INTERNET WAS CREATED BY A BRITISH MAN AND HIS COLLEAGUES. Just to clear that up. It was never an American thing, so in a way it's 'unfair' that America dominates this British-made thing and trumps about as if it's all theirs. The Industrial Revolution (which sadly made people think of communism as a solution to exploitation of workers) was started by the British.

Modern physics wonders such as electromagnetism were largely discovered by Europeans and British people. Then Americans came and 'took over' during the last century and suddenly they're known for so many things that they didn't really take part in. Sorry for my Anglophile rage.

TTFN.

By the way I would like to highlight YM's blog. If you like my blogging style I think you would like hers as well. She writes rather long posts, some probably longer than mine. Currently she's doing '30 confessions', and she's till No. 5 or 6 now. I have so far enjoyed every one of them because it's really entertaining and engaging to read. Although (with reference to the anime post) I am not yet convinced enough to start watching them, I still was kept interested throughout the post. Of course if you want to be anal, the posts are imperfect due to some spelling mistakes and style errors, but that's just me. It's really a good read, and since she doesn't do boring topics like politics (unless you find it interesting like me) then you would probably be hooked as well. YM is currently working tirelessly (I sound like some propaganda department spurning glorious deeds) so her posts won't come as often as mine. Nevertheless, I still think most would enjoy YM's blog.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。