singzeon.


(closed)



8 November 2012:

Describe 5 pet peeves that you have.

(This seems to be a perfect topic for me since I am such an anal person. But maybe I can't think of 5 now, we'll see how it goes.)

1. Messy newspapers
I simply cannot stand newspapers that are messy and out of alignment. I also do not like those who read newspapers and fold them inside out. When I read newspapers I keep them as they are and only flip gently.

When we had 早報 every Wednesday, I cringed every time I saw JL's newspapers. She would anyhow-ly read them and fold here and there, throwing it on the floor and etc. Whoa the OCD self inside me really couldn't take it, man. I really tried not to look at her newspapers every Wednesday.

2. Bad spelling
Okay we all make mistakes, including me, so I know I shouldn't be so hard on this. But it really irks me when I see people 'with swag' and go YOLO spelling things such as 'Ive got so much swag your gonna be jelly its the truth'.

I say 'oh my goodness you just gave me cancer' (that's a meme, by the way). How much swag do you have when you can't differentiate 'your' from 'you're' and 'its' from 'it's'. I also like to go onto Instagram and correct random stranger's grammar. Or rather, the spelling of 'grammar'.

Many people, especially Americans I think, spell it as 'grammer'. As usual this is due to the stupidification (dumbing-down) of the English Language, so they just try to spell it phonetically. Anyway, I would comment '* grammar'. The most ironic ones are those who post pictures of bad grammar and captioning something like 'know the difference! #grammer'. Whoa.

3. Bad style
Yes, I am upset by the addition or removal of a full stop. The fantastic USA has adopted a very funny convention of placing a full stop behind every initial for initialisms, such as 'U.S.A.' And also for some like 'Mr.' But it's all unnecessary! People always say American English is easier cos there's less spelling. Well true (sometimes) but you gotta dot more. British English just goes with 'USA' and 'Mr'. 

4. Hair on the floor
I really think this is why I like short hairstyles only. Ever since I don't know when, I always had goosebumps when I saw hair on the floor, in barber shops. It's natural I know, but ugh the sight of it makes me cringe. Thankfully this salon I go to now sweeps hair away rather fast so it's not a lot.

Actually I also don't like singular strands of hair, the longer the more fearful. Sometimes random strands of long hair get trapped in my book. I would do anything except touch it. I would blow it off, shake my book or use something to push it away.

The worst, worst, worst kind of hair trapped at the bottom of the shower. Once my soap bottle fell on it. It was tormenting, I tell you. It's not cos I'm so pampered so I won't even pick it up. I've picked up food waste from the sink, stuff from a toiletbowl and etc. But hair's really the exception.

5. People who assume
Y'know what I think you like red cos my blog's secondary colour is red and you're reading it. Sounds nuts? I think it's similar to how people sound like when they assume things. Assumption is different from deduction. Deduction is when you use available data and logic and make an educated guess. Assuming is just being an arse and randomly concluding stuff.

I have experienced many, many things going wrong because people assumed. They either refuse to ask for clarification or are just lazy. So they opt for the 'easier way out' and assume things. Others rely on the assumed information, and the whole process is screwed up. It's never an 'easy way out' cos the damage control is massive.

~

Yep, 5 pet peeves of mine. Okay confession the original topic asked for 10 and I changed it to 5 cos I could only think of 5. But nevertheless, these are enough for you to conclude that I am a very anal person.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。