singzeon.


(closed)



14 October 2012:

Day of hard truths.

I'm really lazy to elaborate, but let's just say that the world isn't as nice as it seems. Even temples can scam people. I'm rather disappointed, but then again you may wanna say I'm too naive.

Anyway there's karma right? So whatever the temple did, if they 問心無愧, then oh well. I'll just see whether 業障 hits them or not. I can only say that it was 緣 for me to waste 1.5 hours.

I know it's not very right to say this, but maybe it's because there were PRCs. Not all are evil, but a lot are. I really don't know, and never will I suppose.

~

Today this sentence that my teacher said hit me hard: 'You are competing with the whole of Singapore.'

I used to think that my maths and AMaths were good. Of course not the kind where I get 90+%, but at least more than 75%. Because of that I often neglected both maths subjects to pay attention on others. Mrs P cautioned us that while this is not wrong, we should not over-neglect maths.

I didn't really listen, and during prelims I felt the effects of it. My maths and AMaths deteriorated by at least 5 marks. That's a grade. (Well I still got A so it's not really affecting L1R5.) But if I compare based on marks, many people are winning me in the cohort.

The maths department likes to release the names of people getting A1 - B4. During MYE I was in the top 150 at least. Now I am between 200 - 250, I think. No matter what, I have worsened. The worst thing is that people are improving.

A column on the list was what I received during MYE. I checked many others, they all got lower. Mine was the rare drop amidst all the improvements. That already is worth reflecting. Today came another 'wake-up call'.

My tuition teacher gave me a set of questions taken from various schools' prelim papers for EMaths. She told me to do some. I set out alright, managing to complete the questions. After completing around 5 of them, she marked my paper.

Along with marking my paper there were also two other scripts. They were from her other students in better schools. She made all her Sec 4 students do the same set to compare our standards.

My tuition teacher exempted me from some questions because she felt I was better. But my answers proved her wrong. I got some simple questions wrong, while they got it correct. When the scores were totalled, I got the lowest although it's still >70%.

It's really true that for EMaths an A1 is worth more than 75 marks. And I really need to work for both maths now. It's 8 days to O Levels.

TTFN.

親愛的 niece: would you please use some punctuation? I'm not being a grammar Nazi here but I really don't know what words are replying to what stuff. And I said you could ask me about the names ah I never say I not telling you.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。