singzeon.


(closed)



8 September 2012:

Prelims are resuming and I don't have time.

I'm very worried for social studies. Studying for social studies reminds me of how I studied for geography during lower secondary. Basically, that meant not studying. Social studies is similar to geography in the sense that a lot of memorisation is needed.

I am not a memorisation person. Definitely not. Perhaps it has something to do with my character, I don't normally do things if I do not understand the reason behind it. For geography, a lot of content works this way. Memorise, vomit during exams, get your good grades. Sadly, my brain just can't work this way, although I know many in the cohort can.

That's why I chose history. You must be thinking that it's such a contradiction that I chose history when I say I resent memorisation. That's because you have the wrong impression of history. It definitely requires memorisation, but very minimally. In fact, it's more of an understanding and thinking subject.

The sequence of events naturally flows when you understand the rationale and logic behind various events or actions. There you have it, clear rationales that suit my character. Now the problem is with social studies. Y'know according to the syllabus outline, social studies is a mix of history, geography, sociology and political science. I like all these subjects except geography, which I detest to the core.

This sounds like an excuse, but it's because of that that makes me dislike social studies too. I have no problem studying history, but not social studies. And the content seems a lot. Maybe objectively speaking it's not a lot more than history, but I guess a lack in interest exaggerates the amount of content.

I have five themes to study. I'm alright with Governance and Conflict in Multi-Ethnic Societies (although not very good), but now it's down to Venice, International Conflict and Globalisation.

I heard that globalisation is covered in geography. Although it's human geography that I like, sadly globalisation isn't a topic in human geography that I like so I'm skipping that. Venice seems unavoidable. But the headache is at International Conflict cos it includes the conflict between Iraq and Kuwait.

Mrs L says history students generally study this chapter but it doesn't appeal to me. Today while revising, I discovered that I am missing notes for this chapter. Not good at all. Also, I can't find my textbook. I don't know where it went. This basically means I have no textbook to study from and no notes to refer to.

Which means I may only study three themes out of five. The worst case scenario is that the two themes I don't study for (Globalisation and International Conflict) come out as two of three SEQ and I have one left to do. Woe, I am in a state of despair.

I pray that after social studies on Monday all other papers would be better, especially history and physics.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。