singzeon.


(closed)



13 August 2012:

Oh baby, baby, it's a wild world.


This song was played on the last episode of Skins season 1. It's been a while since I finished seasons 1 and 2 of Skins. What a nice show. I certainly have no time for seasons 3 to 6 now but after O Levels, definitely.

I wrote in to Channel 5 recommending more British shows, specifically Skins. However I don't think that'll be possible lah cos Skins is really vulgar and sexual. We don't have watershed TV programming so I guess it's difficult for Channel 5 too. There's no reply from them, which saddens me a little. I was so sincere in typing out that feedback e-mail. Based on their latest newsletter, they responded to people who merely asked for certain shows to be back.

Oh well, fingers crossed, maybe Channel 5 is so impressed with my letter but they're secretly implementing my suggestions! *like real* Anyway I shall move on.

~

Some depressing news I received today. (Yoda I am not.)

G was mentioning how students must take physics in JC and not biology if they wanna be doctors in the future.

That sure was a very, very big blow. I had planned to take bio, chem, maths and history / Chinese in JC. Now my 如意算盤 is messed up. Gah.

G said that people would take physics and chemistry, then take a bridging course during university for medicine. Wow. That's really disappointing for me.

I'm not a physics person. Definitely not. I have been trying since Sec 1 but physics and me just don't make good friends. I have an affinity for biology, though. I know Mr L is a good teacher and I feel bad to disappoint him lah but my physics has not been good since Sec 3.

The road to becoming a forensic pathologist is a tough one in Singapore. You have to serve your bond as a doctor in a local government hospital for five years or so. Then, you may get shortlisted to transfer over to HSA, where you can practise forensic pathology. The chance is very rare and I think there is tough competition.

To even get into medicine at NUS, the competition is overwhelming. Sure there's the easy way out of going to universities abroad such as Imperial College London but those are very, very expensive. My parents' pockets would be burnt lah, please.

Unless I get a scholarship, but with my qualifications and credentials, there's many better than me. Why would I get selected when others better are rejected?

The biology syllabus for JC is screwed and skewed. It focuses so much on molecular genetics and DNA. Just because cloning, genetics and R&D are relatively new fields of biology, that doesn't mean that JC students should mainly focus on that.

Some take biology because they want to be veterinarians or biologists. Tell me again how molecular genetics would oh-so-benefit them?

Others want to be a doctor. Yes there's more relevance now, but is it so essential until the syllabus is skewed towards it? Why can't it be like the O Levels style where the last theme of biology is on genetics?

That still highlights its importance yeah, while not undermining the other topics' importance. At least one biology teacher has advised not to take biology in JC because of the syllabus.

Haiz so I am very, very torn right now. Should I be stubborn and still take biology? I would most probably do better in biology than physics but according to G, the chance of my being a doctor (and subsequently forensic pathologist) is very low. On the contrary, if I change my strategy and take physics, what if I do so badly I flop my A Levels? I'll be left with not much career options as well.

Therefore, I am confused. Very confused. Maybe I should leave this worry, together with the one about taking H2 Chinese or not aside.

If I really perform very, very well during O Levels, 到時候 I'll be less stressed out when chossing all these. 船到橋頭自然直。

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。