singzeon.


(closed)



23 August 2012:

Imagine getting a sore throat on the day of O Level oral.

When I woke up in the morning and swallowed a glob of saliva, ouch I went as the saliva flowed past my swollen and sore throat.

This certainly alarmed me and I almost jumped out of bed. Today was not any other day; today was O Level oral for English. There was nothing much I could do, so I went to the fridge and took Strepsils to bring to school.

Every 2 hours from 7am, I took one Strepsils. It certainly brought relief to my throat and myself. I also bought an additional bottle of mineral water since I wasn't going to last on my small water bottle for the whole day with a sore throat.

Luckily, oral was alright. It may not be fantastic, but at least I wasn't nervous, like last year during Chinese oral. It was a little sad though that the examiners kept interrupting me. Although Ms C assured us previously that it need not mean a bad thing, I couldn't show my skills (yalah hao-lian lah) that I've tried to master. There were connectors to use and techniques but it all was wasted. I think there is no oral in A Levels, so oh well this is the final oral.

Also luckily, the topic today was not as hard as two days ago. Today is about education and buildings (?!). Two days ago it was 'issues in your local community'. Whoa?

That certainly took many people by surprise. This topic is certainly difficult, since it can be linked to local politics and governance. Not everyone can handle that, especially if they do not read voraciously. I feel for those who took oral on that day.

~

One thing I want to touch on. I really think it's absolutely crappy when you put in hard work and others don't, yet they keep getting you to help them.

Today we had bio PT from 4 to 5. From our class, only eight people came. The reason given to Ms T was that we had oral. The truth is that a bunch of girls were staying in class, the usual bunch of guys were playing football, and of course some sad ones really stuck in oral.

It's alright if these people wanna stay in class / play football. But afterwards, they would go around asking for answers to what Ms T had gone through. Maybe I'm just selfish and petty, but I feel that you should 'work' for such things.

At the very minimum, stay back and listen for such lessons when you can. If it's really due to oral, then no choice for you. I would certainly help those people instead. Yet, these people spend their 4 to 5 pm otherwise and try ways to get answers.

I don't think it's very nice of them. I'm not attacking anyone in particular, but it's this action that I don't like. Why should people help you when you don't help yourself?

Someone once told me that no matter what religion you are, if you don't help yourself, no one can help you. Although religion has nothing to do with this, but the central message still stays.

If and when people ask me for answers sometimes I feel bad if I don't help them. Because I don't know if I'm just being petty. Maybe I'm the only one thinking such wrong thoughts and everyone else doesn't mind helping. Also, I generally won't reject friends. I feel bad if I reject them, although they shouldn't go overboard too, lah.

~

-rant over-

Tomorrow I'm helping XY to do a voice over for her CMS project. I've 'warned' her today that my voice is not in its best state, so she should be prepared for a hoarse me tomorrow. Of course, I do hope that after a good night's rest tonight, I'll be alright tomorrow.

If I've not recovered by tomorrow, I'll be doomed. The supply of Strepsils has ran out and it's not easy to get one. I'll just drink more water and talk less (crap).

~

Yesterday (23 Aug; Is this time to be happy?) I blogged about Section 377A of the penal code and my thoughts on it. The blogpost was featured on Daily SG yesterday. Thanks for recommending my article~ At that site, I saw another blog post: My Fellow Singaporeans: I am Roy. I am Gay and This is My Story. (The anal-retentive side of me is uncomfortable about the erratic capitalisation but anyways) it is a good blogpost worth reading, I feel. The main message for tl;drs is that just because someone is gay does not mean that it changes them greatly in any other ways. It's just that they have different sexual preferences.

I felt that Roy was very, very [...] (just can't think of word). In his comments someone by the name of 'J' said "a gay cannot be a man and a man cannot be a gay". I may have rephrased it but the message is surely that. I have seen responses that flame such comments about their ignorance and bigotry, but Roy responded by asking him why he thinks so. If 'J' is willing to answer this sensibly as to why his personal opinion is of such, then maybe there would be one less person that misunderstands gays (and possibly lesbians and transgenders).

I think I shall take a break from the issue of LGBTs now. After all, the courts have not yet decided on a hearing date. Perhaps I shall touch on this when there are other developments.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。