singzeon.


(closed)



31 August 2012:

I'm heartened that Teachers' Day Celebration was successful.

Mrs L would have seen yet another successful and highly commended celebration. Just now YJ remarked that she was rather 偉大; Teachers' Day Celebration (TDC) is supposed to be a surprise for teachers (besides those performing) yet she has to watch the whole thing. Every year she 'forgoes' the surprise just so that other teachers can enjoy the celebration. Well I agree with that but maybe it's a requirement of being in the Staff Welfare Committee, I don't know.

Although I did not actually ask around, I think this year the school was happy (more than happy) with TDC. It is indeed not the usual kind where there were 'normal' songs, 'normal' contests. There was the standard principal's speech and PSG speech but hey, this can't be helped.

This year's TDC was like a concert. Kudos to the Sec 3 student leaders who organised it. There were remarks about how this year was better than last. Well I suppose it was?

Sec 4s sat in front of the Grand Audi this year. I don't know why, but I think that they liked it eventually. Seeing them rise during mass dance - though not all danced I think - was quite touching cos I think they too realised that it's our last year here and last TDC.

The crowd was very responsive this time. I don't remember previous years being so high. Even during the taichi fan performance, they applauded and cheered every time the fan opened. Well, some did say that the applause were 'mocking' ones.

The staff performance was nice. People complained about how off-tune the teacher was, but hey they don't know the background story. The teacher(s) singing the song had sore throat for about a week, resulting in that kind of voice. I think they were actually pitch-perfect, but their voice made it bad. Hmm students shouldn't be so critical I feel. Just enjoy the performance; it takes a lot of courage for teachers to go up there. Although they're young but still having the whole school watch you may be nerve-wracking.

Gangnam Style was the hot favourite amongst students, I guess. The student leaders and performers crowded at the side of the auditorium and we cheered so loud after the song cos we knew what was coming up. Indeed the crowd went crazy when seeing the words appear on the slide.

Mr C appeared at the chorus prancing around. I honestly don't know what set of dance moves that were but I think it's from the 80s or 90s? Certainly not fitting to Gangnam Style. It was cute though and the crowd were entertained. But sadly the teachers' 'real' Gangnam Style moves were blocked by Mr C since he kept prancing around. The teachers (the front ones, especially) were really good during rehearsal and I wanted to see it again. Oh well.

Mr P stood nearby behind me during mass dance. Actually the idea was to have student leaders and organising committee people stand in front, blocking the teachers in case they can't dance. It was quite funny seeing him dance, since as a principal he's usually giving speeches or just interacting. But hey he's a fast learner I think, doing the moves correctly the first time around.

I think Mrs T should have danced with us too; I don't know where she was. My impression of her changed after chem lecture and subsequent meets. (Every time she meets me, she asks me a chemistry definition.)

Oh there was a small blemish though. JT was singing his part but there was no sound. Turns out AVA did not switch his mic on. It's quite ironic since most of the time it's performers who forget to turn the mic on but this time the AVA were the ones. The Sec 4s were very supportive and encouraging by clapping along so that it wasn't too awkward, I guess.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。