singzeon.


(closed)



27 March 2012:

I've quit Twitter.

I remember having around 15000 (or possibly 16000) tweets before I quit on Sunday night.

According to Twitter Birthday, I first created my Twitter on October 2009 (I forgot the exact date). It's been  almost 27 months now. My "godfather" was Ellen DeGeneres (@theellenshow). That meant I first followed Ellen when I created Twitter. Why did I quit?

I talk too much rubbish on Twitter. For a person like me who simply shoots without thinking too often, Twitter seemed to be utopia where I could do exactly that. It's was simple: I typed whatever I had to say, press 'Tweet', and it's on the Internet.

Because of that, I got into trouble once. Thankfully, the matter did not blow up and I learnt how to think using something call 'brain' before embarrassing myself as a brainless buffoon that people secretly ridicule. I'm glad that the matter's resolved, and that things aren't as bad as last time.

Getting back to the point, even if I did not create trouble, I talk too much rubbish. I'm sure that if one were to dig up my 15000+ tweets and analyse them, at least 50% would be random and meaningless. This all wastes time, and I suppose I've wasted lots of it.

Sometimes, I wonder why people bother following me. If I followed someone else that tweets like I do, I suppose I'd unfollow after a while. Come to think of it, how did I have so much crap to tweet? It's also because of this reason that I've completely stopped posting on Facebook. I only check it once a week, mainly because Council uses it to disseminate information.

Also, I rant too much. I suppose then I felt that it was acceptable for people to rant on Twitter. Well, I soon realised otherwise. After seeing others rant on Twitter, I can tell how distasteful others must have felt when I was doing so. (No wonder I lost followers like that.)

I thought that I would have a terrible period of cold turkey. Actually, it's currently better than what I expected. In the past, I used to log on to Facebook the first thing Google Chrome is launched. That stopped after a while. Instead, Twitter became the first tab to be opened. Come to think of it, Twitter's incredibly time-sucking.

I don't know how many minutes (or hours) I've wasted just because I was curious (kaypoh, to put it bluntly) about other people's affairs. For example, if even it was tweets sent between two parties, I would bother to trace their whole conversation. Obviously, that's terribly invasive. (Of course, you can say that since they tweeted it, it isn't too private.) But anyway, this just seems to fuel my kaypohness. Which happens to be one thing I need to change, before more people get irritated by me.

(Thankfully, no one preyed on my kaypohness and pranked me. Like linking a scary picture, knowing I'll read it.)

After going Twitter-less for almost two days, I noticed why I could get 15000+ tweets. It's because I tweet almost everything I think. And, I think of very randomly and weird things. When I read them later (or when people read it back to me), I get embarrassed, cos those tweets are simply random.

"If you've nothing good to say, don't say it." That's exactly what I'm going to do (or have started doing). By quitting Twitter, I'll abstain from posting all sorts of annoying tweets.

Then again, I do worry about losing a communication channel. On Twitter, I do "talk" with quite a few people. For some, I won't be able to do so, since I don't know them in real life. Of course, this is also a sign that I should probably get to know people I'm comfortable with on Twitter in real life. I hope it would work out ...

Before I end ... Twitter gives everyone 30 days before permanently deleting their account. As of now, my account's deactivated. My username is unsearchable, my tweets don't exist in public, but I can still login and activate it again. I don't know if I'll see a need to activate it once again, before 30 days is up.

But if I do, it's a promise there will be less crap from me.

TTFN.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。