singzeon.


(closed)



5 August 2011:

Was I not tactful enough?

Today an incident occurred.

It was during recess. On my way out of the canteen, I saw S. The left side of her face looked like there were a few pimples. And I remarked "Hey, I think you have a pimple outbreak ..."

And Cold War has started, since then. Technically, I don't know if it should be termed as Cold War, since I am nowhere near ignoring S.

The remark was in no way trying to insult S. It was half-joking, half-concerned. I understand that girls are very sensitive about their appearance, so that probably seemed like a very serious insult.

To me: I told S what I really thought. Now, looking back, I do realise that I could have been more tactful. I could have hinted to her, or maybe simply ignored.

What I find slightly irritating was the reaction that followed. After the incident, and till I left school, I saw S at least twice. The idea was the same: call out and say hello to everyone around me, purposely looking at the sky or somewhere else just to pretend my non-existence.

It's not that I am so hurt by this whole treatment. I just find it very non-constructive. I sincerely believe that the ideal situation would be to resolve this minor misunderstanding, and maybe have me apologise. But after seeing S's behaviour, I am hesitant to take any action. After all, I am rather sure that my actions would be ignored.

I would understand if S purposely ignored me. But how would you account for the deliberate responsiveness towards others around me? A method of spiting me. And what good would that do? Perhaps it is not evident, but that just spoils relations even further.

I admit that my very first (or rather, only) sentence in this whole episode has been rather inappropriate and insensitive. However, I do think that doing such things and whining to mutual friends about this intentionally when I am around is very ... childish.

Nevertheless, I do hope for a resolution. I do not wish to have such a strained relation with someone whom I have had frequent contact with over the past year. It is very tiring, boring, and childish.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。