singzeon.


(closed)



9 August 2011:

Gembira hari lahir, Singapura!

1. I have almost nothing to post today. I wanted to do a long post on Singapore's development thus far and its likely future, but realised that I probably know only 0.1%. Unwilling to waste readers' time, that idea was cancelled.

2. Last night, I watched PM Lee Hsien Loong talk for around 15 minutes for the National Day Message 2011. I don't know why, but I am always drawn to his father Lee Kwan Yew and his voice. I suppose great leaders have good oratorical skills. Of course, that's not to say that what they have done is 100% correct, but who knows how many people have been influenced to side with them just after hearing such magnificent speeches? (This reminds me of how great oratorical skills helped Hitler rise to power and gain popularity.)

3. It seems to me that this year's National Day Song is much more well-received than previous years, of course with the exception of the classical Home (1998). So far, no other song has beaten Kit Chan's vocals coupled with Dick Lee's lyrics. This year's song is titled In A Heartbeat, and it's sung by Sylvia Ratonel. In the music video, it shows Sharon Au and Timothy Nga as mother and son, an important family bond. I don't know why, but I have always liked these "generational" videos.

The music video starts off with mother and son (then played by Reuben Goh) enjoying kampung life. It followed by scenes of them relocating, and it continues to highlight important milestones in the son's life. Doing National Service, getting a girlfriend, graduating, getting married, having a baby, and watching their child grow up: it shows the idealistic Singapore Life. Someone actually said this music video had a hidden intention to boost fertility rates, with the first sentence being "I have a dream of starting a life". Actually, to me, it meant the Singapore Life. Oh well, different interpretations, lah.

Here's the music video, if you've yet to view it:

4. TTFN. Happy birthday, Singapore. 祝新加坡生日快樂。



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。