singzeon.


(closed)



5 June 2011:

How would I rate myself?

During the camp, there were many activites and challenges to be completed. And it made me think about myself. Think very hard about me, and how I influence others.

There was a round of giving either thank-you cards or sorry cards to anyone on the last day. I was not surprised by the number of cards I received. I expected the result even before I started giving the cards.

And I must say, I deserved it. I am in no position to say it was unfair, since I fully knew that with whatever I am doing, I do not deserve any cards.

During the camp, I really did not give my fullest. As a councillor who attended at least 2 other leadership camps prior to this, I was expected to be already equipped with the leadership qualities on the first day. Yet, what did I do? I stuck in my comfort zone, and stayed that way until near day end. Now when I think of it, why did I do such a thing?

I do not know myself. All I can think of is that I am the kind of person you would call 慢熱型. Meaning, I am the kind who get active very late (or something like that). But, as a leader, this shouldn't be the case anymore. I should be the one who is "igniting" these 慢熱 people. I really should solve this psychological issue.

Besides this 慢熱 issue, I also realised on the last night during reflection that I did not contribute much to the group. I really don't have any explanation or excuse to give for this one, which is why I am so guilty right now. It was explicitly stated that this was a leadership camp, yet my performance and behaviour was definitely not one that would suit such a camp. I wouldn't say that I totally slacked, but I knew for myself that I definitely did not contribute much.

Which brings me to the 3rd night of reflection. We were supposed to rate how much we contributed. I rated myself too highly, in retrospect. I suppose this was self-pride acting up at that moment. I really should have adjusted it, although it may not matter now. I wonder how N thought of my self-rating. I am not worried that she would give me a negative evaluation, since this was not what I set out for: a glossy evaluation. What I wanted after the camp was that I could learn something, and influence or change others for the better.

I did achieve the first objective, especially through the lecture sessions during the camp. What about the second objective? Hmm, I cannot give an affirmative.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。