singzeon.


(closed)



10 May 2011:

This post continues the results of GE2011.

As I was saying in the last post, I was really really tired that day, so I decided not to type out my opinions. If not, I'd probably seem illogical and my opinions would be very weird.

Okay, I'm alert enough now. Sleeping at 10, waking at 7.30, I know what I want to say already. But first ...

In this post, I will be slamming both the PAP and the opposition. So please, don't not keep thinking that I am one of those people who are 100% against opposition or 100% against PAP. My belief is that I attack at whatever I feel is wrong, regardless which party proposes that.
Back to my opinions. Let's start with the SMCs. I'll talk about the ones that I know of, since I am very unfamiliar with those in the West.


Hougang. Congrats to Yaw Shin Leong (left). It is evident that what Low Thia Kiang (right) has done for the ward has been witnessed by everyone, and they have decided to extend their support for the WP even without Low himself.


Joo Chiat. Joo Chiat is my constituency. During the campaigning period, what has both parties done? Besides rallies that I did not and could not attend, there were only articles sent thru the mail. Neither candidate came to my house and shook my hand, talked to me and my parents. The newspapers have been reporting the both of them conducting walkabouts, with beautifully posed pictures of both candidates shaking hands of old and very happy people, yet, I ask again where were you? Did the both of you happen to forget about this part of Joo Chiat? No doubt strictly speaking I live in Siglap-Marine Parade, but I'm still in Joo Chiat constituency! A day or two before cooling-off day, the PAP sent an envelope to our house. I read it and wasn't impressed. It was just like propaganda in a very subtle way. Although I support the PAP, but this is no way to garner continued support. Maybe that's why WP's candidate almost won PAP's candidate.

Now that Charles Chong has been elected as the MP for the Joo Chiat area, I hope that within this 5 years, he delivers his promises. If not, even I won't be supporting him. It's true that the both of them have very few things to do here in Joo Chiat, since most of the area is private estates or landed houses. Charles Chong said he'll look into converting drains to pavements, and using that existing space as parking lots, which residents complained a lack of it. Well, we'll see what he does.


Potong Pasir. Sitoh Yih Pin has won narrowly with 114 votes. 5 years later, I suppose Potong Pasir shall be upgraded more or less fully. I really respect Chiam See Tong. He really was a very determined and passionate opposition member. However, I feel he should not have left Potong Pasir, then maybe Sitoh Yih Pin would not have won. Never mind. In the news, it was said that Chiam See Tong is planning a five-year plan to start again. Wishing him the best of luck.


Ang Mo Kio. Ang Mo Kio is the only GRC that saw an increase in the support of PAP. All I can say is, this shows our PM has really contributed, and the people could see it. Or, it could be the other party that contested this GRC was too weak. One member from that party said that they were contesting AMK GRC to allow voters to vote. Uhuh? That's all you wanna do? Let them vote? Okay, no wonder so many people voted for him.

(I could go into a whole post about how magnificent our PM is, and how much I admire him, but I am too lazy to do so. But, I must say, after hearing his lunchtime rally, I felt more confident of the PAP's stand. Before that, I was doubtful of how many votes the PAP can actually receive. And it proved to be true.)


Bishan-Toa Payoh. Many Singaporeans were angry with Wong Kan Seng for the Mas Selemat incident, among others slip-ups of national security. I would defend him by saying that Singapore is actually much safer than other countries! (Just today, Egypt had a riot over religious matters.) However, it is true that the incident was a little serious on the scale. He had better not have anymore mistakes, or the Cabinet may lose him this time.


Marine Parade. Let me start by saying *haiz*. One is an experienced veteran in politics who was once our Prime Minister and is currently our Senior Minister. Another is ... a very inexperienced person. I support PAP, but I totally do not support Tin Pei Ling in being MP for Marine Parade GRC. I believe she is not ready for the real thing. Using what one opposition member said previously, Tin Pei Ling is merely sailing into Parliament.

Also, a complaint against her was filed regarding comments appearing on her page during cooling-off day. She blames it on her admin Denise He. How bout I post some derogatory remarks here on my blog, have it read by 6,949 people (the number of people liking her page as of 9May). Then I post the next day saying that it was the mistake of my admin. How will the people take it? They will be very unconvinced, I suppose!


Best for the last, even though it came first according to alphabetical order. Aljunied. The hottest topic probably in the whole election. Singapore has lost a very excellent Foreign Minister. George Yeo has spent 6 years strengthening ties with other countries, yet now he is unable to continue.



Would you just look at how gracious he was when accepting defeat. He did not have any instance of sour grapes, unlike some party which boo-ed when they lost a GRC.

There is a petition going around getting Tin Pei Ling out of Parliament. Then, a by-election can be held, and George Yeo can be the Foreign Minister again. Even opposition suporters are supporting this cause; this just goes to show how respected George Yeo is, and it proves that people have really seen his contributions to Singapore.

George Yeo really needs to be back in Parliament. The country really would be different without him.

Moving on to Zainul Abidin Rasheed. Although I don't know much about him, but his being slated as the next Speaker of Parliament, would mean that he really is good too. Could he run as President in this year's presidental elections?

Others have listened to the WP's message and pushed George Yeo for President. This is not a suitable choice, since the role of a president and the role of a Foreign Minister is different. He is very good at diplomacy, but he may not be as good in managing the country's reserves.

George Yeo should be returned to where he is destined for.

///

If you are moved by my post, here are some petitions for you.

Removing Tin Pei Ling as an MP
Having George Yeo back in Parliament

That's all. TTFN. #100factsaboutme can wait.



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。