singzeon.


(closed)



3 May 2011:

There are only four more days to the Singapore General Election.

Since I was born, I had only experienced three General Elections. However, I was too young to remember the ones held during 1997 and 2001; my earliest memory of any election was during 2006.

During the 2006 election, the contest wasn't as fierce as it is now. Then, only 47 out of 84 seats were contested by opposition. Now, 82 out of 87 seats are being contested, with only Tanjong Pagar GRC led by founding father Lee Kwan Yew having a walkover.

I don't exactly remember the trend of the youth in the 2006 elections, but the general trend now has been very "anti-PAP". All over social media, people under 30 have been spreading messages of how the PAP has failed in leading Singapore. The opposition seems to be talking with a louder voice now.

It does seem like this "anti-PAP" message has been - and is - spreading. I suppose that is because young people are easily influenced: all you have to do is to list a few negative points about the PAP and they are more or less swayed against their side.

The opposition has become stronger since the 2006 elections. Personally, I am rather fine with the Workers' Party. I feel that they are at almost the same level as the PAP. This is unlike some other parties, that do not even seem to have internal stability within their party. Or others where all suffered from the inability to remember details.

I have also noticed that it is only during this time, that suddenly the skeletons from the PAP's closet all emerge, having been dug out by one person or another. What about the opposition? Do they have no skeletons to dig out at all? Or are the people practising double standards, purposely sparing the opposition candidates so as to that PAP is worse than them?

This election has been a much publicised one, especially with the rivalry between TPL and NS. They both are under-30 female candidates, contesting in the same GRC. Lots of people have dug out bad things about TPL, with the thing about her 'Kate Spade', and her stomping her feet when she could not answer a question.

What about NS? The people seem to be very kind towards her ... Besides that vulgar tweet that someone sieved out. Apparently, that tweet was deleted very soon after news of it appeared. May I question the intent? Was this a facade put out by the opposition to mask how cultured one of their candidates' actually is?

I'm not a total PAP supporter: sure, there are some things that I disagree with PAP too. But I see no need of having double standards towards the opposition and the ruling party. To me, I see this as deliberate incitement of the public's reactions. I suppose the opposition's supporters would hope that under a rash moment, the people would vote the opposition, having heard so much negative news about the ruling party. They would want the ruling party to go down.

Luckily PM set a cooling day for this elections. I think this elections really do need a cooling day on May 6. It would be good that the people thoroughly decide on what really works best for Singapore. On a sidenote, I really look forward to seeing who will drive the Singapore Bus.

#17: To beat procrastination, I have installed a Google Chrome extension called StayFocusd (actual spelling). This extension will block me from all social networking sites and Youtube and Hotmail once a daily limit is up, so I won't waste my time away. Or at least, only 2.5 hours is wasted a day. I know it is still a lot (especially since now is the exam period), but it's a good start. :D #100factsaboutme



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。