singzeon.


(closed)



30 May 2011:

билингвизм

Yesterday, I had a little Twitter conversation with an ex-schoolmate. One minor thing we were talking about was effectively bilingual.

Frankly speaking, a few years ago, I would proudly declare that yes I am someone effectively bilingual. Now? Hmm, I'm not so sure if I can still say it.

Like what I said yesterday, I used to focus more on Chinese, then focused more on English. Now, you can probably say I am 兩竅不通. Seriously, sometimes I find myself wondering why, and since when, did my bilingualism standard drop till so low.

Previously, I was able to switch easily from English to Chinese, or from Chinese to English. (I do not mean Singlish, where English, Chinese, and dialect is brought in.)

I still remember a time a few years ago when I was searching through my fridge for something to eat when I thought of a sentence in English. I tried translating it to Chinese, and it was rather difficult. Then, I thought of another sentence in Chinese (totally different one from English). I tried translating it, and I did it almost instantly!

This left such a deep impression on me, since I could never find out why I can only translate "one-way". Now, I am much better at translating, but I still find that my standards have dropped. And because I have focused more on English since the start of the year, I find that my Chinese vocabulary is slowly fading off. Not as common ones are being forgotten now, such as ... tie pin? I know, most people won't use it, but still, I used to know it. Ugh.

And so I abruptly end my post. By the way, it's something I've never tried before, but I am going to translate (manually, not running it through Google Translate) my entire post above into Chinese. Here goes.

昨天,我在推特上與一個舊同學進行了小談論。其中談到的小話題就是雙語程度。

老實說,要是幾年前,我能肯定地稱自己是個精通雙語的人。現在?我不大確定能否這麼說了。

就如我昨天所說的,我之前一直注重華文,之後注重英語。所以,現在我是名副其實的兩竅不通。說真的,有時候我會自問曾幾何時我的雙語程度會降至今天這樣,而且,為何會這樣。

之前,我能夠很輕易地從英語轉到華語,反之亦然。(我指的不是新語,即英語、華語、方言一同摻進去。)

我還記得幾年前,我在翻找冰箱有沒東西吃時,想到了一句英文句子。我嘗試把它翻譯為華語,相當的困難。之後,我想了一句完全不同的華語句子,翻譯為英語,這下子就很容易。

這給我留下深刻的印象,因為我始終不明白為何我的翻譯只能「單方面」的。現在,我在翻譯這方面好多了,但是程度還是算下降。而且因為我在年初時就已經轉而注重英語,我發覺我的華語詞彙已經慢慢的被忘記了。比較不常用的如……領帶夾?我知道大多數的人不會用到「領帶夾」這三個字,但是,我曾經知道的。嗄。

我就這麼結束我的文章吧。對了,我將嘗試一件「前所未試」的事情,即把以上的所有字翻譯(不是完完全全使用穀歌翻譯帶過完事)成英語。開始了。



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。