singzeon.


(closed)



1 November 2010:

I have always been against vulgarities; simple reason: there is no need to.

Of course, I know it sounds like an excuse, but I am fine with bi**h and ba****d. Somehow I think that is quite alright, since most people are already onto something even more dirty.
I don't understand why people would need to use vulgarities. They are just a way of emotional discharge, which I see as the failure of managing one's emotions. We do get angry along the way, but there is no need to use those words. Scold if you want, but why the use of such words? I really don't get it.
Those for vulgarities might argue that there was a recent study stating that vulgarities do actually help by having some positive effects on the human body. I do not deny that. However, like what I said previously, why can't people find other ways to express their feelings?
My dad says at least 10 vulgarities every day. Someone who knew me (and my dad) once commented to me that we are very different in terms of this. While vulgarities were flowing out of his mouth at any moment, I am very against vulgarities.
This leads me to the problem of driving, at least in Singapore. My dad will swear during every driving trip, at least when I am present. I do not know whether he does it when he's with others, but I hope not. There were two incidences when I clearly saw his failure and the other party's triumph over him.
There were two cars in a multi-storey carpark in the east: my dad's car (with me and him only) and another red BMW driven by a lady. The lady was a tad slow, so my father horned loudly at her. She went slower, in a bid to spite my dad. My dad got very pent up and unleashed his fabulous vocabulary. To me, the woman inside has really won him. She probably would have forgotten about it after a while; and she was in a way controlling him since he cannot overtake. As for my dad, he was very angry and shouting from inside his car. His mood was still bad after that. The woman did not (or rather I hope not) use any vulgarities, yet she was able to control him perfectly. What help does vulgarities do in this instance? Nothing, just aggrevating one's angry emotions.
Then there was this irony that my dad had; which until today I am unable to comprehend. Once, he reversed his car to drive off from a parallel parking lot. He went too fast and knocked gently on the car behind. As luck would have it, the driver of that car was behind, standing on the pavement. The moment my father got down the car, she greeted him with a "what the hell". She did not use any other vulgarity after that. But, my father was very angry. The main reason was that she had demanded compensation when there was barely a scratch on her car. The other reason was that she used "what the hell". Ha, what a joke. He has been using English and Hokkien vulgarities on people, yet he is affected by a "what the hell"? Has he ever thought of how people like me feel after listening to his vulgarities? Of course, now I am immune to it, since it has been 365 days multiplied a few years. To me, it's just a stupid act that he knows of, and performs it for us to see.
What strikes me was that he said something about her and what her kids would grow up to be. What about me? In that sense, can I say that he has been grooming me to be a vulgarity expert, since he has been exposing me to it every day. It really is an irony that he doesn't see.

Please remember to support Freerice.com!



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。