singzeon.


(closed)



9 October 2010:

I hear a sudden cry of pain!

And that goes my Literature exam yesterday. As compared to the previous three Literature examinations, I felt that this time I did better. I was better prepared for the texts and poem; maybe it was because the poems were somehow related to history and the text was much shorter and in the form I liked. :) Anyway, so I felt I did okay for Section A and C. Section B was the "killer" this time (well, actually every time for me). I was torn between the theme of self-image and dreams.
In the end, I picked dreams, since I was more confident of that, and because self-image needed me to talk about "importance of parental role in teenagers". So, I scribbled down some desperate points that I could think of about the theme of dreams and how it affected people in Marigolds. I could have done better, though. Just the night before, I was reading lecture notes, and there were points prepared by the Lecturer that week about dreams. So that was an oppurtunity missed, but never mind. It's over now.
The second paper I had was Mathematics, my second favourite subject! Overall, I felt good about it. (And I hope people stop saying that I am boasting about how good my Math is.) I can't believe it (still), but I solved a 3-mark question using an answer from Discovery Magazine! (as in, I remembered it. duh.) The article was talking about seashells (yes, seashells), and showed the link to triangles. Since it had Pythagoras' Theorem in it, I decided to read it. As it turns out, I'd earn 3 marks!
(Nerds win)
Okay, enough of exams. 接下來,我想講講關於新加坡孩子的華文程度。
昨天,我看了《前線追蹤》。當中,就有提到現在的孩子不補習不行。我本人同意,不過不是想講這些。
我想講的是,當中受訪的孩子們(有些比我大,所以其實應該叫青年),講不到幾句華文就需要用英語接著。一兩個還因為一時想不到適合的詞彙,臉上還露出驚惶的神色。
這是在很可悲。昨天下午在考試之後與X老師吃飯,她跟我說,我們一定要打下牢固的雙語基礎(內容稍微修改)。這樣,我們以後才可以跟中國人一比高低。
英語方面,我們新加坡的孩子應該沒什麼大問題。不過,說道華文呢?又誰能自信的與不識英語的中國人(舉例)溝通呢?
我不是想貶低與我年齡差不多的人,不過沒有很多人能夠順利的溝通。想必,在五句華語中,可能就有一句英語。
新加坡一向實行雙語教育(為此還禁止方言內容):),但這究竟有多成功呢?也許我只是管中窺豹,所以不知道這個政策到底有多功效。
可是,就說說中正的環境吧。雖然是有老師(非華文的啦)教到一半可以突然用華文(蠻有趣的),不過除此之外,我一旦用華語來講話,還是會被人說成中國派。由於這涉及我的個人心態,所以我不想多說。
我真的希望日後的孩子不會像現在那樣如此的討厭華文。我不是要求他們個個講話字正腔圓、或下筆如有神,不過至少要有本事能進行溝通。
華語畢竟是我們的母語;我們不能就這樣忘卻它。

To the sensetive ones reading my blog: Please do not take this as me boasting about my Chinese. If you were to note, never have I once mentioned about my Chinese results. So if you could link it to me boasting, you must have added your own assumptions, and started accusing me of it. Please stop. I merely wantesd to express how I felt about the diminishing trend of Chinese-speaking (willingly) Singaporean teens. That's all.

對那些喜歡咬文嚼字的朋友:我的文章未必是最好的。我也沒有承擔裡頭根本沒有一個別字。不過,還是謝謝你,能夠對我的文章那麼有興趣。至少,你不想以上那類人這麼討人厭。



aboutme.

From Singapore. 20 years of age. Blogs as and when inspiration comes, in British English (and Singlish), Traditional Chinese and (hopefully) Russian. Not a lifestyle blogger, expect posts to be serious, dull or even obscure. I enjoy comedy, in particular British humour.



interests.

[more or less in order] medicine | forensics | theatre | modern world history | typography (including style and grammar) | visual design | Taiji | Chinese language and literature | Mandarin pop (and singing) | Apple products.



typography.

PT Serif for main text and links. Ubuntu Condensed for dates, post titles and sidebar headings. Both fonts from Google Web Fonts.



credits.

singzeon. by Sing Zeon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Pictures used here either come from my Instagram (instagram.com/singzeon) or Google image search. For the latter, I do not own those pictures.



quote.

Hard to love. 認真你就輸了。